May 4, 2009

Ratatouille

I was inspired to make ratatouille by the eggplant that was threatening to spoil in my refrigerator. I've always meant to make ratatouille, but I had it in my head that it was hard to make. But this recipe turns out to be so easy and delicious, and I can't wait to make it when I have fresh summer veggies.


To start, I diced 2 small Italian eggplants, 1 bell pepper, a handful of baby Bella mushrooms, one medium Vidalia onion, two cloves of garlic, one medium tomato, and one medium zucchini.


Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil, and when the onions are translucent, add 1 T. tomato paste. Break up the paste until it even coats the onions. Deglaze the pan with 3/4 c. chicken stock. Add all the vegetables, excluding the tomato.

Saute until the eggplant has fallen apart and the rest of the vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, heat through and remove from the heat. Add 4 T. of chopped parsley and 4 T. of chopped basil. Season with S&P to taste.

It's so good and plus, it reminds me of my nephew, whose favorite movie is Pixar's Ratatouille. Yay!